Saturday, December 28, 2013

Energy Economy - Leaving The House While Chronically Ill

Leaving the house while chronically ill.


Energy Economy – Leaving The House

When you are chronically ill, just the act of leaving your house may be difficult.  You may have very limited mobility.  And you may have some emotional effects from being confined to home so much (if you are confined to home) – anxiety or fear about leaving the house and all that entails.  Everything is harder when you are dealing with a chronic illness.  But, here are some simple suggestions to make life a little easier. 



        
        Think first.  Before you leave the house you need to think about what you hope to accomplish.  Then you need to consider what body cues to look out for, cues that will tell you when you have had enough.  Then decide on your rest and/or exit strategies.  And then tell yourself encouraging things, give yourself a little pep talk.  (I remind myself that I don't care what people think of me and that I am really going to enjoy this or that.)  It might be good to write each of these things down before you leave and bring the list with you.


It's nicer to get out in a wheelchair than stay at home.
       Use a wheelchair.  It took me a very long time to accept this.  But I do finally agree that it is nicer to be able to get out for an hour every now and then, even in a wheelchair, than to stay at home in bed all the time because I can’t walk in the store.  So if you can't walk more than a few steps consider a wheelchair.


·      Use the electric carts available at most grocery stores.  Do not feel guilty or embarrassed about this.  You cannot control what others think and it is not your business anyway.  The fact of the matter is those carts are made available specifically for people like you.  Even if you do not normally require a wheelchair. 


·       Ask for help.  I have found 2 reactions to being in a wheelchair.  Some people avoid you and others are extremely anxious to help.  Ask for and accept help.  If a sales clerk or librarian asks if they can help you, say yes.  If a random nice person asks if they can help, say yes (as long as it is safe, of course).  If nobody offers, take the initiative and ask.  I have been getting better and better at this and the results have been really good.


·      Wear gloves when you leave the house.  Especially if your immune system is compromised and you get sick easily.  See my post Energy Economy - Wardrobe Considerations For the Chronically Ill - Part 2.


·      Wear nose filters when you leave the house.  Especially if you are chemically sensitive.  My mother likes the brand BetterBreathers.


Downsize your purse or use wheels.
·      Take a bag on wheels when you go to the library or store.   I just use a light travel bag with wheels for this.  I've had it for years and I use it frequently.  I think it cost around $20 at Wal Mart.  Others keep a wheeled suitcase in their trunk.  (Of course, I use this option when I am able to walk and don't need the wheelchair.)


·      Downsize your bag.  I bought a small wristlet bag/wallet on eBay for $5.00 which is big enough to carry my phone, most important medicines, money, credit cards, driver’s license,  a pen, etc…  I often leave the big bag at home and just take the little one. Others, like those with arthritis,  might do well to get a cross-body bag.

       Take a portable chair, pillow, or blanket with you.  This is if you can walk but tend to get lightheaded or need to sit or lay down frequently when outside of your home.  (I have a Quillow – a quilt that folds into a pillow – which has seen me through doctor’s visits and many other excursions.  Mine was a gift, but you can find them on Etsy and Ebay.) 

       Sit when you need to sit.  I can frequently be seen sitting (and sometimes laying) on the floor or any other handy seat at even the nicest stores.  I sit on the floor at the library and at stores that are not so nice also.  Basically, if there is a choice between fainting and sitting down abruptly - no matter where - choose sitting down.  Or, if you are just very tired or week, sit and rest a few minutes.  Sometimes you can find an out of the way place.  Sometimes you don't have time.



·      Rest in the car.  If you are out and you grow suddenly weary or week, stop right away and rest.  20 minutes of real rest (which means lying down with your eyes closed, relaxed, and not listening to a book or watching tv) can do wonders.  It may enable you to stay out a little longer rather than going home right away.


·      Pace yourself.  Don’t try to do everything in one day.  It may set you back for weeks.  Listen to your body cues. It often takes us longer to do things than healthy people. 

       Do as much as you can online or through the mail.  This can allow you to leave the house for more enjoyable or more important things - maybe visiting with a friend, a social occasion, doing some personal shopping, or"church".  It can also leave you time to give of yourself.  This is important because we are often in a position where we need a lot of help so we feel like we are taking a all of the time.  So it is important to find ways to give back.  It helps our self-worth and our outlook on life.



·      Dress nice.  It may sound simple, but I always feel less self- conscious if I have dressed mindfully (which can help if you have anxiety leaving the house).  This does not have to take a long time or take much more energy than dressing in pajama’s. (SeeEnergy Economy – Wardrobe Parts 1 and 2 for energy efficient ways to do this.)
       Park your pride at the door.  This is the advice my favorite book (about ME) gives.  I would add that you can park your pride but keep your dignity.  Getting outside, being with people - these are important activities for the chronically ill.  It is important to get outside the confines of your house and your mind whenever you can.  So, it's OK to look a little different than others.  Wheelchairs, gloves, sitting in odd places...it does require some humility to look different.  But by keeping a sense of humor, understanding that we are doing something that is good for us, and cultivating a sense of our basic human rights we do not have to lose our dignity. 

Well, that’s quite enough for one post.  Do you have anything to add?  Won’t you share with us?

You may also enjoy:  
Coping with Chronic Illness - It's OK To Grieve Your Losses
Coping With Chronic Illness - Knowledge Is Power
Coping With Chronic Illness - Cultivate Other Interests
Coping with chronic illness - 2 reasons why lying keeps you sick.
Part 3 - 10 ways to be a good friend while chronically ill.
And the growing list on Energy Economy - for idea's on doing everyday things in a more energy efficient way.

2 comments:

  1. I had to think long and hard about this subject before doing some of these things. But learning to use the electric cart at the grocery store helped me survive. Honestly when I feel that bad I don't care as much what people think anyways. I also purchased a little 3 legged foldup hunting stool from Academy online for less than $10. It has a strap for over the shoulder. I always have it in my car. I take it into stores that don't have carts. I still can only do just 1 or 2 isles in one stop but I can sit and scope before getting up to look closer. It is also handy when waiting in lines or in a group of people where there is not enough seating.

    But in order to get to where I could do any of these things emotionally I had to really size up my situation honestly and realize that practically these things made some things possible that I hadn't been being able to do. Instead of thinking... well this is just temporary, I will do it tomorrow when I feel better. After months of that something has to give. When I do go out I have to remember that I don't owe anyone an explanation and just to smile at people or don't meet their eye. No need to waste energy talking let alone explaining myself. Not looking sick is nice, but it does cause misjudgements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments! I like your three legged stool idea!

      Delete